Pages

Thursday, October 8, 2015

24 Days Left - Lessons I've Learned as an Expat


Your Life is Just as Exciting as Mine

I constantly here the expression "Your life is just so exciting" from well meaning friends.  At times it certainly is, but all I have to do is log onto facebook and I discover that all of you out there are staying busy, doing fun and amazing things.  You take road trips and go on cruises.  You go to restaurants with friends and family.  You go to football games and take pictures of your kids all dressed up for homecoming.  You hang out and laugh and enjoy life--just like I do.  Of course, you have your normal, not so fun things that you do, like clean toilets or make dinner.  You know what?  I do those things too.  It's not suddenly fun to do the laundry just because I live in a different country.  Grocery shopping seems amazingly normal after about a month of frustration, trying to find things I know how to prepare or am brave enough to eat.

I've learned that life is what you make of it.  Some people don't like to travel, they may look in awe at those of us who do, but they can still live a life full of adventure right in their own town by pursing the things that bring them joy.  On the other hand, I can be living on the other side of the ocean, in the most exotic and wonderful place, and never get out to explore and experience the unique culture here.  I see it happen all the time.  It's easy to get busy with the mundane and not take advantage of the spectacular, no matter where I am.

Find the awe in a sunset and and joy in a conversation.  Make the most of each moment and opportunity.  You will find that your life is more exciting than anyone else's because it is the life God gave you and what He created you to enjoy.

No comments:

Post a Comment